
Q1. What was it like being involved @North for the last 2-3 years?
Robert: It has been really exciting to be part of a small group and establishing/running a church and seeing it grow both in numbers and maturity.
Sharon: Initially, it was very scary,yet again stepping out of my comfort zone to serve God.(But that's me relying on myself & not on God).When we stepped out from CPC,almost 13 years ago there were at least 30 core members coming out,now we were only about 10.God has always shown us how gracious He is when we serve & obey Him.I remember going door knocking & dropping leaflets in letterboxes,when we first got started
I remember our first few services when everyone seemed to be doing 2 or 3 things at the service.Then we got our act together & started up a roster which now runs like clockwork.It's just so encouraging to see so many people wanting to serve God & no one grumbles.Everyone just gets on with the task allocated
2. What have been some of the great challenges the church faced during that time?
Robert: One of the greatest challenges was since resources were small in number everyone had to get involved and serve. Most people had some sort of service every week. As I was preparing the roster, I was so encouraged by everyone’s willingness to serve and try things they may not normally have offered to do. Another challenge was to provide lunch without a kitchen. We still managed to provide some delicious meals.
Another challenge was adjusting to the change in mix of our congregation. As the number of international students worshipping with us grew, it was great forming relationships with them and being ABC I can’t speak a word of Chinese nor do I know too much about Chinese culture so it has been really educational as well.
Sharon: There have been many challenges for us,but in all these challenges I can see God working. One of the greater challenges was providing lunch every week.When we were at Trustcott St,we at least had the use of the school canteen & it's facilities,which made it easier.Then we moved to Eastwood Heights & had no facilities,but we managed & when I see people chatting over a bread roll & meeting new new people I know it is all worth it.
Another challenge would be the children's ministry.For the school aged kids we have 4 children Melissa,Nathaniel,Jodie & Lauren all in different grades at school.So we have had to run one lesson with different levels of activities to suit their age group.Then we've had the pre-schoolers & the under 2's(this age group just keeps getting bigger).it has been a great encouragement to see Weng Gar take up the challenge of organising creche,C-Kids jnr (pre-schoolers),& C-Kids (school age),finding materials for all age groups & running a separation & anxiety seminar for parents,which has been very successful.Seeing the children grow & learn makes it worthwhile
Another challenge I mentioned was that because we are a small church,it 's all hands on deck & everyone had to step out of their comfort zone to help out.No none complains & everyone is eager to serve each other & our God & thats always encouraging
Organising our first Church getaway.We had 7 newly built 2 bedroom cottages & we had 2 families in each.We did our own catering,& had use of the local church hall for our meeting place,so we had to transport things to & fro.It was a great time of fellowship & again,working together to make sure everything went smoothly.It was very encouraging for me & a special thanks to Shirley who helped me greatly in organising it.
3. What were some of the great blessings?
Robert: Would have to be the “Introducing God” session where large number of people came to hear the gospel message and 3 people made decisions to follow Christ. They are being discipled and growing steadily.
Since I’ve had to serve often in certain ministries I am becoming more confident in song leading (practice makes perfect) and I’m getting a lot of practice.
Another great blessing would have to be the closeness and fellowship with everyone particularly those in your cell group. As the congregation was small in number it wasn’t difficult to speak to most people during lunch and catching up with what’s happening in their lives. That is truly special and is very difficult to do in a large church.
Personally our family has grown closer together as we have been doing daily family devotions. The kids look forward to the time we spend as a family discussing Godly characteristics and trying to adopt them in our daily lives.
Sharon: Just seeing North grow
a)naturally - new babies
b)new families
c)people bringing along family & friends
d)the students
The confirmations & baptisms are always something to celebrate.
Also the evangelistic events that we have held, our latest one being our Chinese New Year lunch,I don't think we would've even thought of something like that without having the Chinese students in our midst,which we had many people attend.
4. Where do you think God is leading us as a church?
Robert: God is leading us to be the best church we can be. His ways are higher than ours and its exciting to see how God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things for His glory. We need to be obedient to His calling and courageous when we feel weak but this is when we will see God’s plan revealed for us.
Sharon: The goal is to serve God & give Him the glory,wherever that may lead us -student ministry; young families; our children; locals in the community; our own family & friends; with the new plant & many more hearts & hands; I pray that we will obey God's will .
|
|