Monday, May 21, 2007

Spotlight on David Lam

David Lam

Crossed-eyed David :P


1. What do you do for leisure?

I am a big tennis fan, as most may not know, I like to have a hit of it with my friends when I have time and I follow all the main tournaments. I am also a big soccer fan, but I only watch the matches nowadays, I haven’t played soccer since high school. Ever since arriving in Australia, I have developed an interest in exploring new places, but having been here for 3.5 years now, I think I’ve been to most places around Sydney already.



2. If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be and why?

I would be Roger Federer (for those who may not know him, he’s probably the all-time best tennis player in the world) I guess it's related to my interest in tennis again. I reckon that doing something you like as a professional is really great. Besides, as a professional tennis player, there are many opportunities to travel to many places around the world, competing in different tournaments.



3. If you could describe yourself as an animal, what would you be and why?

I don’t know, maybe I would be a horse, I think the picture of a horse running on the green green grass and with a clear blue sky as the background is very beautiful, it also gives me a sense of freedom.



4. Were you born in Australia? If not, where were you born and what do you miss most about your homeland?

I was born in Hong Kong and have lived there for all my life, before coming to Australia. I think I miss the shops most, the large variety of shops and department stores. Besides they close late every night.



5. What do you think are people's perception of you?

I think people generally think that I’m quiet (I hope others don’t find me too boring!), especially in Australia, after all, English is not my native language. For those who know me well, they would probably think that I’m easy going, reliable and a good listener. Many of my friends feel comfortable sharing with me more about their personal issues.



6. How did you come to Cornerstone @ North? Any comments about our church?

Believe it or not, I saw the banner (from my bedroom window) and walked straight in, without anyone introducing it to me. That was when the church had not come up with its new name yet and was at the old site in North Ryde (which was just opposite where I’ve been living now).

I feel that our church is a really warm and welcoming church, especially more so, when I first came to the church, (when the size of the church was less than half of the size of it is now). I was really impressed by the willingness of some people in the church to reach out to get to know me. Personally I feel that it would greatly impact people's decisions to come back again, as they feel welcomed.


7. How did you come to faith in Christ? Or if you are still searching...how far have you come in your investigation/search of the truth of the gospel?

My mum is a Christian, and so I was baptized when I was a baby. However, Christ wasn't the main part of my life, until I came Cornerstone@north. I would say it’s a gradual process though, after the ‘Introducing God’ series and some individual studies with Sidney, I decided to accept Christ into my life. I’m glad that I did go to a Christian primary school, from which I learned of the miraculous things that Jesus Christ did on earth. Morever, I had visited several churches on and off, in the past; and hearing the gospel again, made alot more sense.



8. Who is a big influence in your life and why?

I think different people played different roles in the different stages of my life, so I can’t pick anyone in particular. Perhaps my parents, because I spent more time with them, than anyone else. They are both hard workers and I think I imitate them unconsciously. Spiritually, my mum may not be the best example to follow as a Christian, nonetheless, she often encourages me through her prayers for me and continues to encourage me to be dependent on God.



9. What are the challenges you face each day (if any) How can we pray for you?

The challenges I face each day, especially for this year, is to balance my studies and part-time work, (because my parents are no longer able to subsidise my living expenses here); while still be able to find time to spend with God in the reading of His word and in prayer.







No comments: