Sunday, May 27, 2007

Say G'day to Ken, Chloe and April


Kenneth, Chloe & April Chloe & April

Kenneth






1. What do you like to do for leisure?

April: I watch the "Iron Chef"… it’s highly entertaining & “tastes profound”


Kenneth: I like to take a quiet stroll in the park with Chloe, marvelling at the beauty that surrounds...and looking at Chloe marvel at simple things, that we take for granted.


2. If you could be anyone in the world for one day, who would you be and why?

April: I’d like to be Kenneth, just for a day. Just so that I can see the world from his perspective and so be less impatient with him.


Kenneth: Model answer = Jesus. Because he is the perfect man.


3. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?


April: A bird – for the opportunity to view the world from up there and the experience of being free to soar the heights.


Kenneth: A polar bear cub, so I can snuggle up polar bear mum’s warm tummy.


4. Tell us what it was like growing up in Singapore? What do you miss most about Singapore?


April: I absolutely loved my childhood!! I remember playing make-believe (masak-masak) with my neighbour, and meeting up with my cousins every weekend at grandma’s. That’s the bit that I miss so much now – not being able to meet up with members of my extended family.


Kenneth: When I was growing up in Singapore; I would look forward to watching cartoons, especially “Transformers”, in the evenings. In the afternoons however, I would play football and chinese chess with my neighbourhood “gang”. I miss chilling out with my best friends, sipping iced mocha in a café and philosophizing about life...


5. How have you found adjusting to life in Sydney?


April: Surprisingly challenging!! I didn’t think that it would be difficult, given that I had been here several times before, on holidays. But living in a place, is quite different to being a tourist on holidays. Some of the adjustments have been – getting used to shops closing early & on weekends. The other thing, is that many places are only accessible by car.


Kenneth: I enjoy the vast blue skies, generous open spaces and unhurried time, to savour God’s blessings of simple pleasures


6. How did you become a Christian? Share with us your joys and difficulties.


April: It’s a pretty amazing story!! I still marvel at how God reaches even me!! My babysitter is a Christian who had a great influence on my conversion. Despite growing up in a Buddhist family, my mum enrolled me into Christian schools – both kindergaten & primary. My babysitter probably played a big part in that decision. With mum’s permission, I also went to church with my babysitter. It was through those visits to church and through school; that I came to hear the gospel message and decided to take that step of faith when I was aged10.It’s been a joy and privilege to participate in God’s works of miracles. Let me explain. Out of my extended family, only four of my other cousins were Christians (at one point). But even so, we were the minority who attended church.


My Grandpa is a Buddhist, and so is the larger extended family. In the year when my grandma fell very ill, there was a major fallout amongst my mum’s siblings. It was then, that the three of us cousins, decided to meet up to pray for grandma & our family’s salvation.


We continued to meet up during the year, asking God for this one request. That year, my eldest aunt came to know the Lord. It was dramatic, she removed the idols she had in her house and her whole family came to believe. The next year, my other aunt, my mum, grandma, grandpa followed her decision to become Christians.


The year after, another aunt who had been living in Adelaide returned to Singapore for a visit. She saw such a transformation in grandpa’s heart that she attended an Alpha group upon her return to Australia. She too, after a period of investigation and questioning, has come to knowlege and salvation in the Christ. It had been an extraordinary journey of God’s hand, acting upon the little faith of His children!!


Kenneth: Being brought up in a sterile Christian environment, it was not until high school when I realized that there were more non-christians than there were Christians. It was not ‘cool’ to be a Christian in a boys school, there was a stereotype of Christians as ‘squares’. Thankfully, there were a bunch of Christians in class who were not afraid to appear "unkool" by joining the Christian fellowship in school. Reluctantly, I joined them; and through our mutual exploration of life questions, found answers in Christ and grew in our faith together. They are now my life friends who continue to hold me accountable to Christ.


7. What is your day time job?


April: Stay home mum


Kenneth: Business Analyst



No comments: