Monday, April 16, 2007

Introducing the Chias

Roger, Caris, May Hsin

May Hsin
Father and daughter
Roger..in his "saner" moments...and Caris looking disapprovingly



1. What is your favourite thing to do for leisure?

May Hsin: I enjoy bird-watching in nature reserves and parks. Even if I don’t see any birds, I get to take a nature walk and breathe some fresh air…

Roger: I enjoyed playing soccer and basketball when I was much younger. I also like pick up my binoculars and bird-watch, enjoying God’s wonderful creation. Well, being a bible college student and a father of a baby now… leisure = sleep!

2. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

May Hsin: A sheep. I’m horrible with directions and starkly oblivious at times. =P

Roger: An owl perhaps as I am quite a nitebird.

3. If you could choose to be anybody for one day, who would you choose to be and why?


May Hsin: I would choose to be the disciple Jesus loved-John. I would love to physically be with Jesus. To listen to Him and to learn from Him-face to face.


Roger: It would be my wife, May Hsin. It will be interesting to see things from her perspective. It should help me be a better husband to her.


4. What was it like growing up in Singapore and what do you miss most, since coming to Sydney?


Mei Hsin:
Growing up in Singapore has been a blessing. I grew up with simple ‘kampong’ (village) games, where we had to run around a lot. My brother and I played table tennis at home on the floor (not the table!) and we had many festivals to celebrate (eg. Lunar New Year and Mid autumn festival), which meant that there were lots of gatherings, special food and games!
I miss the people most. My best friend is getting married at the end of April and I can’t be there! =( *moans and sighs*


Roger: Singapore is very much like a pressure-cooker, but it is where family and friends are. Apart from family and friends, I miss the convenience of Singapore. You can easily get anything, anywhere, anytime… and the food (better not think too much about it!)


5. Share with us how you came to faith in Christ?


May Hsin: Well, that story can fill 2 pages! So to cut it short, it all happened when God led me to think of many existential questions when I was 16. At that same time, a Christian classmate lent me a book with bible verses in there and the desire to read such verses grew. So, I went to the Christian bookshop and bought the cheapest book I could find. It turned out to be a copy of the New Testament. I spent the whole of my June holidays reading gospel of Matthew and though I did not understand everything written in it, I was impressed by Jesus, by His work and His character. After the vacation, I told another Christian classmate that I read the book of Matthew. She asked if I wanted to pray the sinner’s prayer. Though I had no idea what it was, I still prayed it because I knew that if Jesus is Lord, that seemed to be the appropriate thing to do. And with that, there was no turning back. Through Christian ministries on campus, I grew to know Jesus more, and understood what my prayer meant. I’m eternally grateful to God for keeping me a believer, even to this day.


Roger: I had many questions about life when I was 15-16 yrs old. Buddhism and Atheism did not have satisfactory answers to my questions. As I was still searching, God, out of His mercy provided a schoolmate who shared the gospel with me. Over time, I began to understand that God created us and loves us. However, we disobeyed and broke our relationship with Him. We turned away from God and pursued things of this world such as wealth, fame, etc. These things can never fully satisfy us and we will keep craving for more. Our lives become meaningless and futile. The only thing remaining for us is the punishment of God for our disobedience. However, God loves us and gave His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die for our disobedience. This is the only way that we can be back with God and to able to live a life that is truly satisfying in Jesus. I confessed, asked for forgiveness, turned away from my disobedience and received Jesus Christ as my personal Saviour and Lord.


6. If you could describe yourself in a sentence, what would it be?


May Hsin:
An ordinary girl living in God’s extraordinary grace.
Roger: Wretched sinner saved by grace.


7. What has it been like being a new mum? Share some joys and other times when things were hard.


May Hsin: Being a new mum has been a humbling experience. I started motherhood thinking that I knew what to do, but in the end, when things didn’t go as expected, I had to let go of certain preconceived ideas of parenting. Some joys are hearing Charis laugh, say ‘ma-ma’ and receiving bright smiles from her. I feel very privileged to see God’s miracle unfolding in her growth everyday. The whole process of how she grew, even from the time she was in my womb is amazing. The hard times are, when she frets and even after I have tried everything, nothing seems to help. The hardest time was when Charis was just born and I had problems breastfeeding. Charis didn’t feed very well and I was worried that she might not have enough to drink, coupled with how things did not go as expected.... motherhood seemed to overwhelm me then. Yet, I’m thankful for God’s grace in enabling me to persevere and for Roger’s love, support and ‘rationality’ during that period of time.


8. Share a significant moment / or something/which has impressed or impacted on your spiritually since starting bible college at SMBC).


Roger: David Cook, the principal of Sydney Missionary and Bible College, shared with us on enduring through the tough demands of college. He shared from John 1:18 that Jesus is the one that can reveal God. No other religion offers this. They can only seek to know or please “gods”. Anyone that does not know Christ is doomed to perish. Therefore, we are to persevere in our training even when we are struggling with exams and essays because we are preparing to preach Christ.









No comments: